When considering a hemp cream for pain relief, it should be understood that not all products derived from cannabis are created equal. Although frequently used interchangeably, products created from hemp oil and CBD oil have some critical differences, including how each is able to relieve pain within the body.
Even though these products can be highly effective, they are often quite pricey, so understanding the differences before you make a purchase will likely save you some money while enabling you to get the best product to curb your aches and pains.
Hemp Salves vs. CBD Salves
Hemp oil, which is found in hemp healing salves, is made from hemp seeds. CBD oil is made from a hemp plants flowers, leaves, and stems, the only part of the hemp plant where cannabidiol is found. Cannabidiol is the chemical found in hemp plants that is known to minimize pain. In addition to its pain management benefits, these cannabidiols are also commonly used to combat seizures, anxiety, muscle disorders, Parkinson’s disease, Crohn’s disease, as well as several other conditions.
Both hemp oil and CBD oil have shown to have positive effects that are both safe and effective, but in vastly different ways. While hemp oil is often used for its high nutritional value, due to its mineral content and healthy fats, as well as positive effects for skin disorders and PMS syndromes, it lacks the hemp derived CBD cannabidiol that many think they’re getting when using a hemp salve.
Hemp Cream for Pain
For someone suffering from eczema, dryness, or itching, hemp oil’s balance of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids may be just what you’re looking for to reduce skin irritations. Because hemp oil products are often far more affordable than the CBD topical application, they often make an excellent choice for simple skin issues. However, it has a minimal benefit when it comes to muscle, arthritis, or any kind of chronic pain.
CBD Cream for Pain
CBD creams made from CBD oil have a full spectrum of health benefits, these range from minimizing inflammation, to alleviating arthritis pain, to a significant reduction in chronic pain. This is all done without any intoxicating effect.
A 2010 study done on patients with arthritis concluded that topical CBD oils successfully reduced inflammation, stiffness, and overall pain relief.
A 2017 study published in the journal Pain took a close look at whether CBD could prevent osteoarthritis pain and joint neuropathy. The research concluded that it did both because it decreased inflammation within the joint and acted as a protectant to the nerves.
Countless other studies have concluded similar results. So, if you’re looking to reduce muscle or joint pain without the side effects of pharmaceuticals, a CBD product with a shea butter or coconut oil base, along with an essential oil will likely be your best option.
What to Look for in a Hemp Cream
Without a doubt, there is no shortage of topical pain-relieving products on the market. These include creams, lotions, salves, and roll-ons. All of these can adequately apply CBD, but we advise you to stay away from roll-ons as a been known to harvest bacteria. Salves are usually your best bet as they contain plenty of other quality ingredients that can help reduce inflammation. If we can apply several anti-inflammatory products at the same time, that’s always a cause we can get behind.
Here are some of the most important factors when considering a topical cream to reduce pain.
- Hemp source: if your goal is to reduce joint or arthritis pain, we recommend a CBD product. If it’s a skin irritation, we recommend a cream derived from hemp oil.
- Quality: we recommend you only buy brands made from US grown hemp.
- Strength & potency: Make sure the product you buy has enough of the active ingredient. The product doesn’t display how many milligrams it has; it’s best to move on.
- Ingredients: Make sure the cream is made up of ingredients you can pronounce. You don’t want a product full of chemicals. In addition to the CBD, you should also look to see what other pain alleviating ingredients are included.
- Cost: Don’t overpay! Some brands certainly charge more than others. Make sure you understand how much you pay for each milligram and compare the products between each other.
Which Hemp Product is Right for You?
You really can’t go wrong with the CBD salve, but because CBD salves are a higher quality product, they are a bit more expensive. For these reasons, it doesn’t make a lot of sense to buy a CBD cream for a skin related issue. A hemp oil cream should have no problem alleviating the symptoms. Just be sure not to buy a hemp cream for pain in a store like Walmart. There are far better products out there.
However, a hemp salve for pain product would do little to help deeper issues, such as muscle spasms, tight tendons, arthritis, or other problems derived from joint inflammation. For someone suffering from any of these issues, a CBD salve for pain would be your best option. CBD products do cost more, as they hold the pain-relieving cannabidiol CBD, which is what anyone suffering from these symptoms would be after.
What Else Should You Know
A topical hemp cream for pain is safe to use. However, there are a few things you should keep in mind when you first start using one of these topicals pain-relieving products.
- It’s an herb: Hemp products are an herbal bioactive, so if you are taking other pharmaceuticals, it would be wise to speak with your doctor about how the products may work together.
- Broken skin: these products are designed to be absorbed by the skin, so if you have cuts, it is wise to let them heal before you begin use.
- Other ingredients: Check the list of ingredients before use to ensure they are not allergic to anything within the product. Many hemp salves products are typically made of coconut oil, almond oil, or one of several other nut products. If you have nut allergies or allergic to any of the product on the list, certainly don’t use.
Find The Best Product For You
We have a full list of the best CBD creams for pain. Here we include complete details about each product, including other factors that should be considered when purchasing a CBD salve. It’s essential to get a high-quality CBD product, which doesn’t stop at just the CBD. All of the ingredients within the product should be a consideration when selecting the best CBD topical cream for pain.